Thursday 13 June 2013

Book Review | Catcher In The Rye By J.D Salinger

Catcher In The Rye By J.D Salinger
Paperback, 214 pages
Little Brown

"Since his debut in 1951 as The Catcher in the Rye, Holden Caulfield has been synonymous with "cynical adolescent." Holden narrates the story of a couple of days in his sixteen-year-old life, just after he's been expelled from prep school, in a slang that sounds edgy even today and keeps this novel on banned book lists. It begins..." 

Click here to read more


-----------------------------Goodreads Summary-----------------------------





My Final Thoughts

Lets break this book down in tiny pieces so I give you a major idea on how I felt about this book when reading it and finishing it.

Plot:
I felt like this book has a really good plot line to it because it help us to understand Holden so much more and really get to know him better as we progress through the book. We get to see how Holden faces the events in the book and also how he reacts to them with no sense of knowledge of how to fix them. The overall storyline didn't really give to much surpises but it contemporary fiction really well. 

Writing Style:
I though I was going to step into a novel with really old english and not understand what is going on in the book. But J.D Salinger's writing flowed really nicely and complimented Holden's personality of being an abrupt young man who on the run from his life at school and home. I liked how J.D's uses of slang used then like how Holden place "Old" in front of everyone's name because of reading that Gatsby from The Great called Nick "Old Sport" So I felt like that was a nice touch to Holden. Overall his writing get a A+ from me because of how easily I could understand what the language used.

Characters:
Holden is one of my now all time favorite characters. He was however, abit annoying and obnoxious at some points. But he later came to grew into himself by the end because of all the things Holden experienced being away from school and home. I the main reason why I really like Holden is because of how assertive he is with people and he will damn speak his mind about anything. As for the minor characters like his younger sister Phoebe. I actually took a liking to her, because I loved how she was close with her brother and loved him dearly. Even when she gets annoyed with him. I really like Stradlater and Ackley because even though they hated one another, they did however really like Holden (in a im-not=hate-on-holden way) I like the way they were assertive with Holden too as he is with them. But I laughed everytime those two showed up.

So I think this gave you guys a clear perspective on how I felt about this book.

So I've given this book 4.5/5 Stars



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SO YAY!! 
NOW I CAN CROSS THIS BOOK OFF MY TOP 100 BBC LIST!! 
FOR MORE INFO ON THE 
TOP 100 BBC LIST
CLICK HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment