Sunday 8 February 2015

Day 7: Eleanor and Park By Rainbow Rowell (SPOILERS) | #AYEARATHON

Eleanor and Park By Rainbow Rowell 
329 pages
St. Martins Press
Hardcover

"Two misfits.
One extraordinary love.

Eleanor
... Red hair, wrong clothes. Standing behind him until he turns his head. Lying beside him until he wakes up. Making everyone else seem drabber and flatter and never good enough...Eleanor.

Park... He knows she'll love a song before he plays it for her. He laughs at her jokes before she ever gets to the punch line. There's a place on his chest, just below his throat, that makes her want to keep promises...Park.

Set over the course of one school year, this is the story of two star-crossed sixteen-year-olds—smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try." -Goodreads


--------------------------------------------------------


Okay I just wanted to come on here while I'm half way through this book to vent a little.

I am not liking this book so far, it has it's cutesy elements but however it has a very dark and sad undertone to it. Everytime something happens to Eleanor I end up getting really angry with all the characters, including Park, and he's not even a problem.

I have never experienced a book quite like this where my emotions are just purely anger, and hatred for characters NOT JUST A CHARACTER, but CHARACTERS throughout my time reading this book.

I feel being Rainbows first YA novel she has written, this book may have been the book that had given her ground into writing a YA novel. Even though I have not read Fangirl yet, which I plan on reading because of a few friends have told me, I will let her off for now but I hope Fangirl is better. 

Well I better get to finishing this off as I only have about 100 or so pages to go. 

I will check back in to finish off the rest of this review. - 2.18pm

After finishing this book at 3.30pm and then now writing it at 1.46am (Long story)

I feel as though I have absorbed the book to give my honest opinion.

I did not like this book at all and this is why

Characters
Eleanor was the reason why, I hated her so much, she wined about everything, and when she had this awesome good looking Asian guy Eleanor would contradict everything he said or asked her. For example Park would of thought Eleanor looked nice, so he'd say "Your hair looks nice Eleanor" To which Eleanor would reply "What is that suppose to mean?" Pfft bitch it means you look good today, take the fucking compliment instead of making Park feel shitty and making him feel he needs to walk on eggs shells around you which gurl he doesn't. OPEN UP MATE!!! gaah she grinded my gears. Park was not a swoon worthy guy as I thought he'd be as I thought he'd be this cool Asian kid that are similar to the cool Asian kids I know, but he fell flat. I don't really know why? But I'm guessing it because hes not memorable to me. There was nothing of Park that stood out to me, rather than he's just a normal teenage boy. As for her parents and step dad, they all pathetic losers who should not have kids at all? Seriously they should not be having kids at all. I know it must be hard to get out of a relationship but I feel when your husband or partner treats you and your bloody kids like shit everyday, get the fuck outta there. I felt more sorry for the kids than anything. If they did not get out of that house, I would like to see a book written about Ben, Eleanor's littke brother, of him beating the shit outta Richie, cause I totally can see happening.

Final Thoughts  
This book did not live up to the hype and I wish I liked it more and I found it really hard to get into it, and carry on with the story. I will forget everything about this book and I will not re read it again, even if a movie comes out on it. Also I just read the burlp again of this book and it says "Two Misfits" To me Park, fit in really well alot of people like Tina, Steve and Cal who are known in the book to mean but also popluar. So I feel as though he only became a misfit when he went out with Elenor and started wearing makeup which too just came outta the blue? Didn't see that one coming. So yeah, Park not my cup of tea.

Would I Recommend that book? 
No I wouldn't recommend it to anyone and I feel it would cause someone a reading slump.

I know this was quite a negative review with a few bad words in here but grrr this book just made me angry from the beginning to end.

Please comment below if you have ever read a book that just made you angry while reading it??

Happy Reading
Greg. x



No comments:

Post a Comment