Tuesday 20 January 2015

Book Review | The Ring and The Crown By Melissa De La Cruz

The Ring and The Crown By Melissa De La Cruz
Hardcover, 384 Pages
Hyperion
Date Finished Reading: 3rd January 2015

Princess Marie-Victoria, heir to the Lily Throne, and Aelwyn Myrddn, bastard daughter of the Mage of England, grew up together. But who will rule, and who will serve? 

Quiet and gentle, Marie has never lived up to the ambitions of her mother, Queen Eleanor the Second, Supreme Ruler of the Franco-British Empire. With the help of her Head Merlin, Emrys, Eleanor has maintained her stranglehold on the world's only source of magic. She rules the most powerful empire the world has ever seen. -Goodreads


---------------------------------------------------

Plot
The plot of this book is really intriguing, with it being set in the Victorian Era and having elements of magic. It always kept me on my toes and I loved how Melissa developed the world to make me, the reader, feel like I was apart of that time period. The drama was just perfect by not being too dramatic and it did surprised me alot. (Especially towards the end with Ronan & Wolf, if you know what I mean people who have read this book) 

Characters
There are quite a few characters in this book and everyone of them are quite unique in their own way, from Marie the Princess who is beautiful and amazing to her Mother Queen Elanor who is the opposite. I fell in love with Archie and Perry, the pair of them were so funny and they just adored Ronan just like I did. Arrrgh I cannot stress enough of how much Wolf is truly amazing. I loved him he was a strong character to me and my favorite. I loved him with another particular character I adored, together and then that was taken away from me (asdfghjkl). As for Awelyn, I didn't think much of her at the beginning of the book cause I thought she'd be this badass heroine because she was the merlins daughter but she didn't surprise me at all which was a disappoint.

My Thoughts
This book was really good when you're in the mood for a multiple character driven read and if you wanted a post downton abbey read, this sure did filled up my void of the lack of seasons Downton Abbey have been giving us these past two years (I'm not over Sybil, or Matthew okay, so let me be) I was however disappointed by the lack of magic in the book. This was the main thing that drew me in, but there was only little spells here and there. So mmmmm. Maybe an improvement there Melissa? 

Do I Recommend This Book? 
YES I DO but only if you're in the mood for some drama and post downton abbey vibes. x







No comments:

Post a Comment